March 23, 2010
Video: Dantonio outlines goals for spring football
EAST LANSING - Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio praised Spartan basketball coach Tom Izzo for his ability to get players to perform with games on the line before making it clear that he and his staff were striving to get similar results in similar situations with their program.
Dantonio said that he was looking forward to using spring football as springboard for growth and made it clear that he and his staff were hoping to achieve several goals. On offense, the Spartans are hoping to get back to the ground production that they had a couple of years ago with Javon Ringer and Jehuu Caulcrick.
Dantonio believes that his team will be more effective running the football, as Larry Caper and Edwin Baker prepare for the sophomore season's after both showing high-end ability as true freshmen.
The Spartan head coach believes that wide receiver, quarterback, and tight end will be a position of strength. Dantonio said that Keith Nichol will play 80 percent of his snaps at receiver and will spent the other 20 percent taking reps with quarterbacks. The growth of red-shirt freshman Andrew Maxwell has made it possible for Dantonio to move Nichol to wideout without fear of drop-off at the quarterback position.
Dantonio also updated members of the media on transfers and gave the status of a number of MSU athletes involved in the off-campus altercation at Rather Hall. Of those players, Mark Dell, B.J. Cunningham, J'Michael Dean, and Chris L. Rucker are fully re-instated.
Cameron Jude and David Rolf are no longer with the program. Rolf, who signed with Michigan State out of Piqua, Ohio, wants to be closer his family, who have re-located to Utah.
VIDEO: SPRING FOOTBALL PREVIEW
If you are unable to view the video embedded in the text above, click the link below to hear Dantonio's thoughts on his team as they begin spring football practice.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!