Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
November 11, 2008
All-time teams: Will North Shore or Trinity make the list?
Lots of candidates and a lot of opinions. Will there be an addition from the 2008 season? We actually have a very likely addition if we get a Class 5A Division I final between Euless Trinity and North Shore.
The winner will have all the credentials to be considered among Texas' greates teams. Euless Trinity has at least two major college running backs and a defense that could have five major college players.
Undefeated North Shore (7-0) certainly has the talent. They've got tight end Barrett Matthews, who the Mustangs' hardly even need with a stellar receiving corps led by top 2010 propspect DeAndrew White and junior offensive tackle Trey Hopkins.
A look at one person's view of:
1. 1973 Tyler John Tyler: Earl Campbell led the way against a gauntlet of teams including Fort Worth Arlington Heights' Mike Renfro and an Arlington Sam Houston team featuring future Baylor All-American Ronald Burns. The Lions also had future NFLer Ronnie Lee at tight end and Earl's younger twin brothers (Tim and Steve Campbell), who'd later star at Texas as well.
2. 1988 Carter: Clouded in controversy, the Cowboys still rank as the best collection of athletes ever in Texas. Future NFLer Jessie Armstead typified a hard-hitting, fast line backer who also caught a pass in a sleet storm in Waco to beat Odessa Permian during Mojo's season that was the centerpiece for "Friday Night Lights.".
3. 1985 Houston Yates: A suffocating defense led by Santana Dotson and rampaging running game led by RB Johnny Bailey put together a 16-0 and trounced Odessa Permian in the state final.
4. 2000 Midland Lee: Led by record-setting running back Cedric Benson, Lee won its third consecutive state title. But there was more than Benson to handle. Standout lineman Eric Winston was a terror at tight end and on defense.
5. 2003 North Shore: A great defense led to a 15-0 run and QB Bobby Reid was phenomenal. Often overshadowed because Katy beat SLC (16-15) in DI final and it was a huge year for star players _ 3A Player of Year Jordan Shipley; Ennis QB Graham Harrell and Palestine RB Adrian Peterson.
6. 1994 Tyler John Tyler: The most memorable playoff win was the 48-44 thriller over Plano East in the quarterfinals. But the Lions had athletes everywhere and Coach Allen Wilson had taught them Gordon Wood's old Wing- T offense to perfection.
7. 2004 Southlake Carroll: A core led by QB Chase Daniel and RB Aaron Luna won 31 of 32 games with an '04 state championship and the only loss by a point in the '03 state final.
8. 1997 Flower Mound Marcus: They were Southlake Carroll before Dragons coach Todd Dodge made the Dragon Dynasty king of the spread offense. Marcus lost in the '95 state final but came back to score the most points in a 5A title game with a 59-20 win over Alief Hastings.
9. 1979 Temple: With future Buffalo Bills RB Kenneth Davis and future NFL tight end Albert Reese to go with a stout defense, the Wildcats were a Central Texas marvel under coach Bob McQueen.
10. 1980 Odessa Permian: A team that fueled the tradition that would lead to the NY Times bestselling book "Friday Night Lights." Permian stopped the high-flying passing of Port Arthur Jeff QB Todd Dodge and WR Brent Duhon in the state final.
Mississippi State NEWS