Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
January 14, 2012Trailing on the road by 2 in New Orleans Saturday night with only a couple seconds left on the clock, Rice needed something very good to happen.
What they got was something great.
With only 2.1 seconds left to play, Owl senior Guard Connor Frizzelle took an in-bounds pass and though guarded heavily dropped a 3-pt hammer on Tulane to give Rice a 50-49 win as time expired. After officials reviewed the floor to make sure Frizzelle's foot wasn't on the 3-pt regulation line, the win was confirmed.
The last play was also set up by Frizzelle, who with 3.9 seconds left had gone to the line to shoot a 1-and-1. The senior calmly sank the first, then intentionally missed the second. Freshman Ahmad Ibrahim inbounded the pass to Frizzelle for the game's most important assist.
After losing 3 in a row to Texas, TCU, and a heartbreaker to Marshall; tonight's win gives the Owls their 2nd win in a row - both of them conference victories, both on the road.
The Owls return home to Tudor Fieldhouse for their next game when they host UAB next Wednesday night at 7:00.
Rice pushed their record to 11-7 overall, and 2-1 in CUSA play with tonight's win.
- Starters for the game against Tulane were Kuipers, Kazemi, Frizzelle, Ennis, and Ibrahim.
- Tamir Jackson scored his 1,000th point as a Rice Owl. He played 21 minutes off the bench scoring 5 points.
- Arsalan Kazemi led Rice in scoring and of course rebounds. His 12 points and 14 points gave him yet another double-double and marked the second consecutive game in which he led the team in scoring and rebounding.
- Rice led at the half 25-18. They won the game despite shooting only 28.6% from the field.
- Freshman Dylan Ennis had only 1 turnover while starting the game and playing 37 minutes. He led the team with 4 assists and added 6 points.
Owl Sports Watch
Mississippi State NEWS