Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 19, 2010Southern Miss Football Report Sept. 19, 2010
Record 2-1, 0-0 C-USA
W, 31-16 over Kansas (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss./30,211)
Sept. 25 - at Louisiana Tech (Joe Aillet Stadium/30,600), 6 pm [ESPN3.com]
Player of the Week Nominations
Austin Davis, QB, 6-2, 200, r-Jr., Meridian, Miss.
The starting Golden Eagle quarterback accounted for 216 yards of total offense in their win over Kansas, as he threw for 155 yards on 19-of-24 attempts, while adding 61 rushing yards on 9 carries. He added a one-yard TD run for his first rushing score of the year and 12th of his career. He spread around the offense by hitting nine different receivers of which six had long catches of 10 or more yards. Rushed for 32 yards on the Golden Eagles' opening drive to give USM the early lead. Had a long rush of 14 yards.
Ronnie Thornton, DB, 5-10, 176, r-Fr., Miami, Fla.
Led the team in tackles against Kansas with 12. Was the only Golden Eagle in double-figure tackles. Tied for a team-best two tackles for loss for three yards as the team notched 13 for the contest. Tallied eight of his tackles in the second half.
Deron Wilson, DB, 5-10, 176, r-Fr., New Orleans, La.
Recovered a block punt and went seven yards for a touchdown. It was the second-straight week he was involved with a blocked punt, tallying one last week against Prairie View. Added two solo tackles and a pass breakup in the win over Kansas.
* Southern Miss won for the 10 consecutive time at home and also recorded its third straight win in Hattiesburg over an Automatic Qualifying Conference school with its win over Kansas. The others in the streak include NC State (2006) and Virginia (2009).
* The current home winning streak is the longest since the Golden Eagles won 11-straight at The Rock from 1984-1987, which included a 5-0 home slate in 1985 and a 4-0 mark in 1986.
* The Golden Eagles blocked a punt that was returned for a touchdown against the Jayhawks, marking the first time that has happened since Nov. 25, 2006, at home against Marshall when Ladarius Webb blocked a punt that Michael McGee fell on it the end zone.
* It was the first time Southern Miss blocked a punt in back-to-back since doing it against Memphis and Louisville during the 2001 campaign. Etric Pruitt collected the punt block in both of those games.
* The Golden Eagles have rushed for over 200 yards in each of the last two games and are 8-3 in the Fedora era when they reach that number.
* Southern Miss did not register a turnover for only the third time in the 29-game Fedora era versus Kansas, but it was the fifth time USM had tallied a non-offensive touchdown under the third-year head coach.
* Sophomore running back Desmond Johnson tallied his career-long run on a 49-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter versus the Jayhawks.
* Junior kicker Daniel Hrapmann capped the Golden Eagle scoring with a career-long 45-yard field goal. Hrapmann is 5-for-5 on FG attempts this season and 9-of-9 in extra points.
* The Golden Eagles finish the non-conference part of its schedule when they renew one of their oldest rivalries this week when they meet Louisiana Tech for the 43rd time, and first time since a 16-13 win in Hattiesburg during the 1992 season. USM is 13-7 in games played in Ruston. The Golden Eagles lead the overall series, 29-13.
Mississippi State NEWS